Although family-policies are a national competence and greatly vary across the 27 EU Member-States, the European Union can play an important role in promoting family-friendly policies. FAFCE supports in this direction the daily work of the different EU bodies:
- European Parliament: composed of representatives directly elected by the EU citizens, it participates to produce the EU legislation with the European Council and the European Commission.
- European Council: composed of the EU heads of state or governments, it defines the EU’s political directions and priorities.
- European Commission: composed of designated Commissioners led by a President, it is responsible for proposing legislation, implementing decisions, upholding the EU treaties and managing the day-to-day business of the EU.
- Council of the European Union: composed of Ministers from each Member-States, it meets regularly to discuss specific points on the EU legislation and coordinate EU policies.
- Economic and Social European Committee: composed of representatives of civil society (workers’ and employers’ organisation, interest groups, etc.), this EU advisory body issues opinions on EU issues.
- Committee of the Regions: composed of locally and regionally elected representatives, this EU advisory body produces opinions on EU legislation that directly impact regions and cities.
FAFCE calls the European Commission to include surrogacy in the review of its EU Directive on human trafficking
24 March 2023, FAFCE contributed to a call for feedbacks of the European Commission following its proposal to update of its 2011 Directive against human trafficking, very much welcomed in light of the evolution of the forms of exploitation
FAFCE contributes to the public consultation on the 2023 Strategic Foresight Report
14th of March 2023 Long-term changes are having a profound effect on the lives of Europeans. The European Commission therefore includes in its work an effort to embed strategic foresight: "Foresight is the discipline of exploring, anticipating and shaping
2023 European Day for a Work-Free Sunday: Synchronised quality resting time for an improved mental health of workers
2023 European Day for a Work-Free Sunday: Synchronised quality resting time for an improved mental health of workers 3rd of March 2023, On the occasion of the 2023 European Day for a Work-free Sunday on March 3, the European
PRESS RELEASE | Cooperation agreement between FAFCE & SME Connect: Together for a more sustainable Europe
PRESS RELEASE Cooperation agreement between FAFCE & SME Connect Together for a more sustainable Europe Brussels, 1st of March 2023 “The digital and the green transitions cannot be dissociated from the demographic transitions, we are therefore convinced of the strategic
Ageing Population: UN report shows that it is not only Europe’s problem
15 February 2023, The World Social Report is a leading publication that focuses on significant social topics issued by the United Nations Secretariat's Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), which serves as a crucial link between global economic,
The European Parliament calls for better child protection in online video games environment
24 January 2023, On the 17th of January 2023 a debate was held at the European Parliament’s plenary sitting in Strasbourg on the subject of Consumer protection in online video games: a European single market approach. The document adopted
Entry into force of new EU work-life balance rights for parents and carers
19 August 2022, Since August 2nd, all EU Member States must transpose the 2019 Work-Life Balance Directive in their national legislations, which introduces new standards for the work-life balance of carers with parental leaves and flexible working arrangements: 4
EU 2022 Czech Presidency: Solidarity, child protection and support to families on the agenda
14 July 2022, From 1st July to 31st December, following France, Czech Republic leads the Presidency of the Council of the European Union, which rotates every 6 months between EU member states. With the motto “Europe as a Task:
Intervention of FAFCE President at the European Parliament on “The richness of the family and its relationships”
11 July 2022, FAFCE President, Vincenzo Bassi, took part to a conference at the European Parliament on the 6th of July 2022 on “The richness of the family and its relationships”, organised by the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR)
European Parliament recent positions on care, mental health at work, women’s poverty, and abortion
8 July 2022, For the last Plenary before the summer, the European Parliament adopted several resolutions on the upcoming European Care Strategy, mental health at work, and women’s poverty, in addition to a controversial resolution to promote abortion following