Council of Europe
The Council of Europe is a human rights organisation, based in Strasbourg (France), whose stated aim is to uphold human rights, democracy and the rule of law in Europe. Founded in 1949, it has 47 Member-States, including the 27 EU Member-States. Unlike the EU, the Council of Europe cannot make binding laws, however it has the power to enforce international agreements reached by European states on various topics.
Since 2001, FAFCE has been granted a participatory status to the Council of Europe, and supports the rights of the family in the different institutions of the Council of Europe:
- European Court of Human Rights: composed of judges from each Member-State, it ensures the respect of the obligations of Member-States under the European Convention on Human Rights (1950). The Court rules on individual or State applications alleging violations of the civil and political rights set out in the Convention.
- Committee of Ministers: composed of the Foreign Affairs Ministers, usually represented by Permanent Representatives and Ambassadors, it is the decision-making body of the Council of Europe.
- Parliamentary Assembly: composed of parliamentarians from all Member-States, it adopts resolution and recommendations to governments.
- Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of Europe: composed of political representatives from local and regional authorities, it issues opinions on fundamental rights affecting regions and cities.
- Conference of INGOs: composed of NGOs with a participate status, it produces opinions based on the ground expertise of NGOs.
Council of Europe: Parliamentary Assembly calls for supporting parents in the prevention of child poverty and the post-pandemic socio-economic crisis
6 July 2021, On the 22nd of June 2021, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) adopted two Reports and Resolutions at the Summer Session, focusing on the socio-economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic. A Resolution on
Vision and commitment of FAFCE against pornography: interview for the Italian association PURIdiCUORE
Brussels, 3 March 2021 On 18 February 2021, Bénédicte Colin, FAFCE Project Manager, shared the work of FAFCE against pornography with the Italian association PURIdiCUORE, also dedicated to tackle the challenges of pornography. The association promotes the integrity in
On November 11th, the Sub-Committee on Children of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe held a public hearing on the « Impact of COVID-19 on childrens rights and the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual
Brussels, 25 May 2018 The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, the decision-making body of the organisation, adopted its Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2023, which is built upon the results of the Gender Equality Strategy 2014-2017. The
The Committee on Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe hosted on 24 January, a hearing about a report named “The Use of New Genetic Technologies in Human Beings”, presented
A hearing on “Women in the Public Space” took place at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe On Monday, 23 January 2017, the Committee on Equality and Non-Discrimination of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of
Grand Chamber Judgment clarifies that there is no obligation to recognise parental ties if there is no biological link Strasbourg, 24 January 2017 Today the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights ruled that “the authorities’ removal of
The European Social Charter in the Context of Implementation of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights
Brussels, 7 December 2016 The European Parliament's Policy Department for Citizens' Rights and Constitutional Affairs published a paper on “the European Social Charter in the Context of Implementation of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights” that analyses how the European Social
Strasbourg, 11 October 2016 There is no room for ambiguity on the practice of surrogacy. Today the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), during a plenary sitting, rejected a draft recommendation on surrogacy presented by the Belgian Senator Dr. Petra De Sutter
The Committee rejected the draft Resolution and proposed a draft recommendation to the Committee of Ministers Paris, 21 September 2016 Today the Committee on Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) rejected again